I have to admit that I have never made nor tasted a red velvet cupcake. Sad, I know... So I decided to make some today and they are scrumptious.
The batter, isn't it pretty?
Ready to be baked.
Just out of the oven. They look beautiful.
The final product.
Red Velvet Cupcake
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
2 1/3 cups flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tbsp red food coloring
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp distilled vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter and sugar in mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs one at time, beating until each is fully incorporated.
3. In a seperate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together, buttermilk, vanilla, vinegar and red coloring.
4. Add a fourth of the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and mix. Then add a third of the wet ingredients. Continue rotating until all of the ingredients are mixed in. You should end with the dry ingredients.
5. Fill cupcake liners and bake 18-22 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
8oz cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
1. Beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
2. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add the remaining 2 cups and beat until smooth.
3. Add milk if necessary to adjust the consistency.